On 24/01/2007, at 2:51 PM, Doug wrote:

> Any feeling of privacy we might get by not having an archive is a
> facade; email is not a very private medium.
>
> We've almost always been publicly archived here and I can't think
> of any problems the list or anyone subscribed to it has encountered
> as a result.  I'm curious what sort of problems do you anticipate?

It's pretty commonplace these days for companies to google
applicants. Just as what my personal views down the pub are on
certain subjects are no-one's business if they weren't there at the
time, what I say in a mailing list is only the business of the people
on that list, but a public archive changes that dynamic.

As it is, the archives have mainly been only accessible to
subscribers as far as I'm aware, which is enough of a firewall for
me. Yes, email isn't very private, neither are conversations in the
street, but you wouldn't want someone you never met to be able to see
snippets of conversations out of context long after the fact.

Charlie