Charlie  wrote:

> On 24/01/2007, at 2:51 PM, Doug wrote:
>

>> Any feeling of privacy we might get by not having an archive is a
>> facade; email is not a very private medium.
>>
>> We've almost always been publicly archived here and I can't think
>> of any problems the list or anyone subscribed to it has encountered
>> as a result.  I'm curious what sort of problems do you anticipate?
>
> It's pretty commonplace these days for companies to google
> applicants. Just as what my personal views down the pub are on
> certain subjects are no-one's business if they weren't there at the
> time, what I say in a mailing list is only the business of the people
> on that list, but a public archive changes that dynamic.
>
> As it is, the archives have mainly been only accessible to
> subscribers as far as I'm aware, which is enough of a firewall for
> me. Yes, email isn't very private, neither are conversations in the
> street, but you wouldn't want someone you never met to be able to see
> snippets of conversations out of context long after the fact.

You may be disturbed to find this then:
[http://www.mail-archive.com/brin-l@mccmedia.com/]

I don't completely disagree with you Charlie, but I do like having the archive
available because it’s the only way I read email at work and I like perusing
the old stuff at times.  I wanted to read some stuff from the fall of '03 and
the only place I could find it was on the above linked list.  The MC Media
archive is very incomplete.

--
Doug