wonderful dream, max, but could you smoke a pipe on
a zeppelin; would hydrogen or helium be used?  how
would you avoid another hindenburg?
jlm

As I recall, wasn't the Hindenburg disaster due to the

flammable paint and a known design flaw which allowed
the buildup of static electricity? I have little doubt

we could do better today.
--
Gwern

i have no doubt we can, and have done MUCH better,
gwern.  i believe we will do even better and someday
large blimps will again be used for transport.

there are a number of theories of what caused the
disaster including: structural failure, lightning,
static
spark, engine exhaust spark,  puncture, hydrogen fuel
leak, incendiary paint, and sabotage, etc.  a german
luger with one shell fired was found in the
wreckage...

the question i am asking is how to avoid another
disaster
with modern technology?
jlm