On 5/9/07, Alberto Monteiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Gwern Branwen wrote:
> >
> > As I recall, wasn't the Hindenburg disaster due to the flammable
> > paint and a known design flaw which allowed the buildup of static
> > electricity? I have little doubt we could do better today.
> >
> Helium could be used instead of Hydrogen. If cost is the problem,
> then use Methane.

The only reason the Hindenburg itself didn't use Helium was that the
biggest source of Helium was the United States (and there was that
embargo between the US and Germany).  I'm guessing Helium shouldn't be
that tough to get a hold of nowadays.  Think about all the Helium we
use just for children's parties in this country...

Plus, I remember someone telling me that some sort of Helium-Hydrogen
cocktail (I don't remember any details and I'm not a chemist) would be
a good compromise between the inert Helium and the cheap Hydrogen.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://www.worldmaker.net/