On 5/14/2007 8:28:59 PM, Ronn! Blankenship
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> At 05:38 PM Monday 5/14/2007, jon louis mann wrote:
> >i don't
> >understand why all these fantasy series are more popular with adult
> >audiences...
>

> Perhaps because with all the FUD over things like GM food and
> climate
> change in the news every day SF seems entirely too close to the
> frightening reality?

I think that is likely true.
But I think you also have to factor in the desire to not do too much
thinking.
That mode is ever present to some degree, but I think we are in one of
those periods where it has been more dominant. Take the lack of
interest (with the recent exception of federal elections) in politics
as an example.
Maybe it is that people don't want to be bothered with subjects that
require the level of thought that might be considered "work".

I don't believe that what I'm saying applies to everyone or even
necessarily a majority, but enough people that one can identify the
trend.
Of course my opinions are colored somewhat due to constant exposure to
construction workers and other blue collar sorts. It is an odd
occasion when I find myself in a discussion with a co-worker outside
of the modern equivelents of neolithic conversational topics (hunting,
fishing, guns, television, and cars).
It is an odd sort of orthodoxy.

xponent
Catholic Maru