On 5/14/07, Robert G. Seeberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2007/05/13/pulp_affection/
>

> True, the book isn't particularly well-written. I discovered it when I
> was 15, and although I was an omnivorous reader, even then I
> recognized that Hubbard was nowhere near as talented a stylist as
> Edgar Rice Burroughs, Dashiell Hammett, Philip K. Dick, or certain
> other pulp authors. That said, "Battlefield" is no worse than some of
> the lesser works of, say, science-fiction giant Robert Heinlein (who
> called it "a terrific story").

The first time I read this, I misread it as saying that _Battlefield_ is no
worse than Heinlein.  But then I reread and saw that he credited Heinlein as
a "science-fiction giant" and said that _Battlefield_ was no worse than some
of Heinlein's lesser stuff.

And I found myself agreeing.  Even though Heinlein wrote some of my very
favorite books, he also wrote some that I really didn't enjoy much at all.
And that got me thinking about other authors.

I having trouble thinking of other authors who wrote some things as good as,
say, _The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_ and _Starship Trooper_, and some as bad
as _Farmer in the Sky_ -- and yes, I realize some people actually like that
one, but I found it incredibly dull.

Asimov doesn't seem to have as much range between his best and worst, nor
does Clarke.  Nor does Brin, Bear, or Benford -- hah, I managed to mention
all three Killer B's in one post!

Can anyone else thing of a prominent science fiction author with such a
range between their best and their worst?

--
Mauro Diotallevi
"Hey, Harry, you haven't done anything useful for a while -- you be the god