On 6/8/2007 8:44:20 AM, Alberto Monteiro ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
wrote:
> Ronn! Blankenship wrote:
> >
> >> There is a _Senate_ for Alabama? Two legislative bodies
> >> for each state?
> >>
> >> (I hope br politicians never hear about this...)
> >
> > Every state in the USA except iirc Nebraska has a bicameral
> > legislature modeled upon the national one.  Again iirc Nebraska
> > calls its unicameral legislative body the state Senate.
> >
> > (I say "iirc" because
> that's what I remember learning some years
> > ago.  I suppose they could have changed since then without
> > informing
> > me . . . )
> >
> What is the logic behind that? Here in Brazil, the "logic" for
> the existence of the Senate is that Senators represent the state,
> while the Deputies represent the electors. I can't
> see why this
> would apply to a state. Does every county elect a state-Senator
> that represents the county?
>
> Maybe the logic is just giving politicians new jobs...

If you think about it, the name "United States" kinda lets on what it
is all about.
Originally the 13 colonies/states were quite independent of each other
and after independence were each "States" (as in nations) unto
themselves to some small degree. The way the federal government was
set up looked pretty good (though I think it was modeled in part on
one or more of the states existing models) and so the states followed
suit.
For a good while it was not a sure thing that the States would remain
"United". So I'm thinking each state was anticipating the possibility
they they might have to go it alone and organized themselves in the
manner of a nation. As new states joined the Union they followed suit.

xponent
Not Strictly Accurate Maru
rob