On 6/8/07, Alberto Monteiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:

> What is the logic behind that? Here in Brazil, the "logic" for
> the existence of the Senate is that Senators represent the state,
> while the Deputies represent the electors. I can't see why this
> would apply to a state. Does every county elect a state-Senator
> that represents the county?
>
> Maybe the logic is just giving politicians new jobs...

IANAH (I am not a historian), but here is the way it was taught to me -- and
any of the historians or political science folks on the list, please correct
the stuff that I get wrong.  :-)

The original question, back when the current US constitution was being
created, was should each state be represented equally, or should each
citizen be represented equally.  The crafters of the constitution did both.
In the senate, each state has an equal voice because each state has two
senators.  In the house of representatives, the seats are split up based on
the census, with each representative in theory representing roughly the same
number of people.

At the time, the northern states had figured out that slavery was probably
not something they wanted to continue, and the southern states had a vested
interest in continuing slavery, and the less populous south didn't want the
more populous north to be able to dictate to them how they should run their
states.  Giving each state an equal voice in the senate, along with counting
each slave as 3/5ths of a person for purposes of counting population for the
house of representatives, helped quell that concern for the south, at least
until somebody had to go start a war...  ;-)

States simply copied the two-house structure of the federal government, but
without the same reasoning behind having a separate house and senate.  For
most states, the division is more like Great Britain's division between the
House of Lords and the House of Commons.

In practice, at least initially, and at least in many states, state houses
of representatives represented the common people and senates represented the
wealthy.  And legislation had to be approved by both the commoners and the
wealthy to become law.  And typically, state senates are smaller than state
houses of representatives, just like in the federal model, which helps add
to the prestige of being a senator.

<cynical>
Currently, being a senator is still more prestigious than being a
representative, but both senators and representatives typically cater to the
needs of the wealthy and just ignore the common man.
</cynical>

HTH

--
Mauro Diotallevi
"Hey, Harry, you haven't done anything useful for a while -- you be the god