Well, a couple things come to mind.  First, countries with government health
care could invest in research in vaccines to see if they can prove me
wrong....that government sponsored drug development can be effective.  It
would be nice to have other developed countries take up more of the burden
of paying for medical developments.  If they wanted to sell it in the US to
recoup  some of their costs....that's not a problem with me.

Using a capitalistic model, the first thing that comes to mind is reduce the
risks inherent in developing new vaccines.  Protection from liability...as
long as the company was above board in providing the results of studies to
authorities, and guaranteed purchase of vaccines for X sound like some
possibilities.

As for preventing diseases....some of the medicines people take everyday now
do that.  High cholesterol is not the disease, clogged arteries is....so
that is really prevention.  I don't think most prevention would be a
one-shot....but allowing for big payments for a one-shot makes sense.

Dan M.