On 9/17/07, Dan Minettte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > It's not a proposal that forces anyone to do anything, especially if
> > you're talking about the centre of London (within the Circle Line
> > area, which seems to be the general idea).
>
> That would be a lot more practical, but I don't think that's what is being
> considered.

No, you are right.

It is hard to overestimate the amount of effort that would be required
to elminate cars from London. It may not be designed around the car in
the same way American cities but that is still very often the default
planning assumption. Achieving a car free London would be an extremely
expensive process which would take years, probably decades. Obviously
we are nowhere near the stage where this is politically feasible but
perhaps the opportunity cost of not doing so will tip the balance at
some point in the future.

 Martin