I've lived in the Chicago area for about 4 months years ago and have a
question. What do you mean by "get around Chicago."  Is it going to the well
traveled areas, or being able to make it from, say, a house in Aurora to one
in Geneva in only 20 minutes or so.  Or even getting from one to the other
without walking a half mile to a bus stop, taking a bus to a central
location and then a connecting bus, and spending 1.5 hours on the trip.

The proposal specifically stated it wasn't just for central London.  Thus,
the whole 175 square miles needs to be considered carless.  Busses are
possible, but one ether has to sit through 50 stops to get from A to B, or
use a complex system of transfers.

>It may be that those of us living in areas that
> are less densely populated and without terribly good public transit
> systems really can't grok how good the existing infrastructure in London
> is.  Having never been to London myself (having never been in England, in
> fact), I couldn't say one way or another.

I've been in London a few times (say 20) both in inner London and elsewhere.
It seems to me that, if one can walk 4-6 blocks, inner London can be done
efficiently via the Tube.  But, we had to take cars for other parts of
London because using public transportation would just take forever....and
would require a good walk.

If this is non-representative, I'd be curious to see what I missed.

Dan M.