If you go to the Powell's website, you'll find a blurb for a book which
described in detail how the author's family lived on potatoes and
"bland, processed (or packaged) products scavenged..." during one spell
of poverty.  Enjoy them, mashed, fried, and mixed with onions.
http://idiotgrrl.livejournal.com/

Of course, there have been many, particularly in SF but others also,
who not long ago talked about their vision of the future of the real
world where technology made everybody rich (or at least the equivalent
of middle-class or better by then contemporary US standards).
. . . ronn!  :)

those are two possibilities, and i am content with either, as long as
we stop destroying the planet.  if technology can leap to the
singularity that would be my preference, but so far technology has only
made it possible to pollute and waste to the point that civilization
may collapse before humanity transcends.
i could easily live on a lot less than i am now.   i kept my stomach
full with potatoes, popcorn and vitamins when i was at the university
of washington.  going on a paleolithic diet would be an improvement to
what i eat now...
jon