I'm not quite sure how that follows.  If you look at 2000 vs. 2008, the big
drop in OPEC oil production was in Venezuela...which is a result of Chavez's
actions, not Bush's.  Iraq is close to the 2000 level of production.  Other
countries have increased production.

Oil is higher, not because production hasn't risen, but because demand has
exploded.  Over the last year, the US demand for oil has dropped about 3.5%,
while the demand in the rest of the world has risen 2.7%.  Overall, that's
about a 0.6% increase.  During that time, prices have gone through the roof.

There is ample evidence that US demand is cooling, but no convincing
evidence that demand is cooling in the rest of the world.  Unless oil prices
go way back down (say $30/barrel), I expect US demand to continue to drop.
If oil prices go back to the $75-$100/barrel range, then that drop would be
slowed, but would still occur.

China, on the other hand, is in a position where energy consumption and GDP
are strongly tied.  If oil goes below $100/barrel (note, the drop in the
dollar is part of the rise in US cost, the rise in oil prices for the EU
over the last 5 years or so is about 35% less than it is for the US), then I
think that they will continue to have explosive demand.

GWB has made a mess of taxes and government spending and oversight, but, the
forces involved in the housing bubble had manifested themselves elsewhere
twice on Clinton's watch (the Asian bubble and the Internet bubble).  So, a
competent president could have done much better, but the problem of, to use
an extreme case, Californian house prices being far out of reach for the
average person is not the result of GWB.  Other factors dominate there...as
they did in other places.

So, as much as I consider GWB a bumbling idiot, I don't think that every
mess is his fault.

Dan M.