It certainly isn't true as it was 8 years ago, but economists are debating
how tied the world is to the spending of the US on credit cards (and their
Fanny Mae equivalents.)

>An American crash or collapse might slow
> the rest of the world, but it won't plunge the rest of the world into
> recession necessarily any more.

That's true.  And, you see in my post that the consumption of the most
critical commodity (oil) is not what it was 30 years ago.  But.....there are
still a lot of unknowns.  For example, the US has been running a gigantic
trade deficit this decade....near 800 billion last year IIRC.  A lot of that
money is going into Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac bonds.....and these
institutions may be technically insolvent.

The US has to back them, it has little choice.  But it will be much harder
to arrange a soft landing for the US housing bubble for the world economy
than the Asian bubble of '98.

The fall of the dollar has been orderly.....but unless the trade imbalance
fades with the dollar, there is a risk of a "run on the bank."

The real question for me is what happens with China if/when US purchases
from China start to fall.  Last year the US had a quarter trillion dollar
trade imbalance with China...we imported 321 billion and sold 61 billion.  I
personally lost a chance at a lucrative contract when the Chinese communist
ordered the Chinese oilfield service company to develop everything in house.
This can't go on forever, and I'm not certain if China can maintain 10%+
economic growth without this type of arrangement.

The only real answer will be to watch.  And even then, folks will argue for
years afterwards as to the true cause of this and that.

Dan M.

BTW, I'm not really arguing with you; I'm 90% in your corner in this
discussion....I just have some worries about short and mid term problems.
In the long term, the continued improvement in productivity will facilitate
economic growth.....but we could have a few rather unpleasant years.  It's
really unfortunate that Brad isn't an active member.....he could add a lot
to this type of discussion.