On 31 Aug 2008, at 19:13, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:

> Dan M wrote:
>> I wouldn't put it that way, because there are a wealth of possible
>> future
>> tests.  And theories that have been falsified are still taught in
>> science
>> class...in fact most physics that is being taught has been
>> falsified....but
>> survives as special cases of the new theory.
>>
> But in that case we don't present it as true, exactly. For example,
> Newton's Laws of Motion are now presented as acceptable
> approximations.
> Nothing wrong with that, it is easier to do the calculations that way
> than to use General Relativity to calculate orbits, for instance.

I was taught that 22/7 was a handy approximation for pi but I wasn't
taught that it was pi. And I was taught the Bohr model of the atom in
high school chemistry along with the explanation that it was a
perfectly good model for high-school chemistry although superseded.

> In a class that is about how science develops, that could well make
> sense. I taught a class some years ago on History of Science, and that
> is something I tried to bring into it. But I would (and did) insist
> that
> we look at this process in terms of how science makes these judgments,
> and that is by making falsifiable hypotheses and testable predictions,
> and then doing the test. If we don't do that, I don't think we are
> doing
> science.

If schools are to teach history of science as well as science then
some other less useful subject has to be cancelled. I vote for PE/
Gym :-)

Not a subject Maru

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Every Sunday Christians congregate to drink blood in honour of their
zombie master.