From: "Charlie Bell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> It's possible to tell people they're wrong and point out opposing
> views without constantly implying that the other party is in some way
> trying to be superior. It makes for a much friendlier discussion, and
> this is a discussion list.
>
> Charlie.

Too true.   There is a passage in "The Mote in God's Eye" where Kevin Renner
who is fond of rebutting arguments by blurting out "wrong", and then
explaining why, is told that it might be more appropriate to start a
rebuttal with "That turns out not to be the case". A lesson for everyone
maybe?

And on the subject of the Mote in God's Eye, I wonder if some of the doom &
gloomers on the list see a cyclic boom & bust civilisation that that of the
moties as a possible future for mankind, or if they will settle for nothing
except a disaster that wipes that plague that is mankind from the face of
the Earth for ever. :-)

Regards,

Wayne.