On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 7:06 AM, John Williams
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> You seem to be talking about an odd sort of consent. You will consent
> to do any new thing that "the government" decides to tell you to do, as
> long as it is not too many things. In case it is not clear, the examples
> I listed are new rules.

I see some confusion here about consent versus consensus.  Democracy doesn't
seek consent, other than the consent to be governed by democratic means; it
seeks consensus or lacking that, majority.

I give my consent to be governed by people with whom I disagree, so long as
they are elected by legal democratic means.

Nick