> Sorry if the analogy is confusing or faulty, my main point is that
> governments are "consenting partners" too.

That just ain't so. As has been observed Government is force. and
there's sweet F.A negotiation between it, its agents and the citizens it
bends to its will.

Force generally is not required between consenting adults.

There is the concept of a 'social contract' which is a presumption of an
agreement of fair dealing between people, their fellow citizens and the
government but in practice no one's enforcing that contract.