Well, I tried for half an hour to get a link to the article that detailed
the AIG Board meeting that got the "take it or leave it" proposal from the
US government to swap 80% of its equity for about 80 billion. I'm sorry
about that.  But, my understanding is that the bundling has become so
layered and convoluted that folks really didn't understand what was
happening in real time.  With the amount of leverage that exists, a
perfectly reasonable looking position can fall apart quickly.

Most financial houses rely on analytical models that ignore the possibility
of Black Swans.  My article stated that at 5 PM the board had a plan that
would work, at 6 PM a division called saying they had done their latest
analysis and they needed 20 billion more, and everything fell apart.  I've
worked for companies that have been messed up enough so that no one knew
what the real balance sheet was for a while.  I think AIG was that badly
managed.

With margin requirements and what not, and AIG's foolish exposure to
sub-prime mortgages, a lot can happen in a day.  That's scary, at least to
me.

When I get back, I'll try to find the article and let you decide if you
think it is possible.  But, I've been chatting with folks who have
connections to investment banking, and they've told me that this is the most
likely scenario.

Dan M.