Dan M wrote:
> The problem was that no-one (including the board of directors of AIG knew
> that AIG was insolvent until the day the government intervened.  Bubbles and
> panics are part of the nature of the market.  You can repeat your mantra of
> free markets are perfect until you are blue in the face, but AIG was the
> biggest insurance company in the world and no one had any idea of their
> problems
There is a management consultant named Bob Lewis who puts out a weekly
newsletter I get that illustrated the problem very neatly.

Set up a spreadsheet so that cell A1 has the formula "=B1 +1". Then go
to cell B1 and enter the formula "=A1+1".

Now, most decent spreadsheet programs will not let you get away with
this circular reference, but an unregulated market can. Essentially, it
all came down to a shell game where everyone was insuring each others
risks, and then convincing themselves that they had laid off the risk
this way.

Regards,

--
Kevin B. O'Brien         TANSTAAFL
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      Linux User #333216

"Good teaching is one-fourth preparation and three-fourths theater." --
Gail Godwin