On Jan 23, 2009, at 12:00 PM, dsummersmi...@comcast.net wrote:

> Since then, I've been seeing promises of competative electric cars.
> When
> gas prices were at $4.50/gallon, the premium for hybrids was within
> $1000
> of being a wash.  But, now that prices are back close to $1.50
> (around here
> at least....but when we were up near $4.50, I'd guess you were
> higher too)
> hybrid sales are falling like a rock.

And that, in turn, is a symptom of how susceptible the mainstream is
to short-term thinking and its application to decisions with long-term
effects.

People buying cars really seem to think that fuel prices will always
be what they are right now, and we won't have another $4+/gal peak or
even higher soon.  They also really seem to think there won't be an
overall upward trend on top of seasonal and market-driven
fluctuations.  No other interpretation makes sense to me, when people
turn around and buy 10-15 mpg SUV's and pickups the moment fuel goes
down below $2/gal.  (The only exception would be if they plan to trade
the thing in next summer when the fuel prices go back up, which is a
different kind of insanity.)