Discounting 2008's ups and downs (which were spectacular), we saw a steady
price trend in most commodities (e.g. iron ore, tin, gold, aluminum) from
the mid 70s to 2007: downward. Last year was a roller coaster, but few of
the folks who are responsible for making long term decisions that are highly
dependant on prices assumed that 4+ dollar gas would last long.  The bet in
the oil patch was that oil prices would settle back under 80.

If you really believe that oil will go back north of 100 within the next 5
years, you should sell oil short on the futures market.  The long term trend
is off this bottom, but you could still sell for 62 dollars in 2 years and
70 dollars in 5.

That's consistent with the general range that long term projects were
assuming last summer, when prices spiked near $150.  So, on average,
$2.50-$3.00 (inflation adjusted) gas is a good bet for the lifetime of a
car.

>No other interpretation makes sense to me, when people
> turn around and buy 10-15 mpg SUV's and pickups the moment fuel goes
> down below $2/gal.  (The only exception would be if they plan to trade
> the thing in next summer when the fuel prices go back up, which is a
> different kind of insanity.)

But, they were buying them in decent numbers when gas was
$2.50-$3.00/gallon.  There is nothing that indicates that the long term
average price of oil (say over a 5 year period) will go above $80.00/barrel
within the next decade.  The oil patch would love steady oil in the 60-80
dollar range, and steady natural gas at about $6.00/thousand cubic feet.

Remember, peak oil was first predicted to be within 5 years in 1920.

Dan M.