I think the problem is that an honest report of "scientists are excited
that, after five years of hard work by an very talented team of 300 Phd
physicists, another small incremental improvement in our understanding has
been achieved" would sound too dull to read.

I emphasize with you on this.  I've been through the idea that everything we
know about physics is now challenged by X, where X is a fairly minor tweak
to a well established theory.

Personally, the tying together of astrophysics and evolutionary biology, if
it holds up, seems like a neat thing to me.  But, it involves neither the
rewriting of astrophysics or evolutionary biology.

Even really revolutionary data, like the data that suggests dark energy, are
written up in such a way that it implies that the big bang is now in
question.  That drives me crazy in the same way.  But, at least that may
lead to something truly new.  This is just a minor neat thing.

I think people will read/watch about science if and only if there is a good
story told.  Telling a good story without resorting to overstating your case
is very hard.  I can state things clearly and precisely, but, alas, I
usually make folks eyes glaze over.

Even good shows like Nova have had to dramatize what actually happens to
make a story.  The best do it without subtracting too much from an accurate
description.  Unfortunately, I fear the best are becoming less popular as
drama becomes the driving force.

Anyways, I honestly think I can empathize, not just sympathize with you
here. :-)

Dan M.