Original Message:
-----------------
From: Charlie Bell char...@culturelist.org
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 19:25:51 +1000
To: brin-l@mccmedia.com
Subject: Re: Drinking Water From Air Humidity

Charlie wrote:

>Read it again properly, and don't treat me like a first grader.

I asked how much energy is required and you said none.  I read the reply
three times, an d at best the answer seemed to sidestep the question.....as
did every promotional piece on it.  Having lived in a hot humid climate,
and having gone through a month of humid weather with no rain, I have some
feel for how energy intensive this process is in the middle of the day in
Houston, where it is extremely humid.  Far more humid than more deserts.

>It's a WIND TURBINE. I said it was a wind turbine in my original post.

Right, and there are wind turbines that passed me on the road capable of
generating multiple MW per hour.  I was trying to find out if anyone had
numbers on the name plate capacity of the turbine vs. the liters per day.

Because it clearly won't work well at any time but the pre dawn hours in
the desert.  The collectors have to be cooled below the dew point. Let me
give a US example.  In Las Vegas yesterday, in the heat of the day, the
temperature was 42C, while the dew point was -1C.  Even shaded, it takes
tremendous power to keep collectors that cold while deliberately being
exposed to a very hot wind.

At the coolist hour, the temp was 28C, and the dew point rose to 4 C.  At
that temperature difference, with a perfect lossless system, roughly 10% of
the total cooling has to be added as power. Between the cooling necessary
to keep a panel cooling the atmosphere as it blows past it, and the energy
emitted by the latent heat of vaporization, there's quite a bit of energy
per liter involved.

How much involves a lot of specifics.  Inherently its the type of problem
one usually solves by reading the specifications....because I'd have to
guess a lot on the efficiency of the unit in only cooling the air it takes
water out of and maximizing how much it cools it.  For example, if the dew
point is 2C and the condensor is 1C, one only takes the water that
represents the water capacity of air at 2C vs. 1C out of the atmosphere.
So, one would need to pick a lower temp....but how low depends on
specifics, and is a days long enegeering problem.  But, none of the promos
offer specifications.

>No external source of energy. Self contained. OK if you want to be
>super pedantic you can say wind or light is the external source of
>energy, but to me that means energy that has to be transported to site
>like fuel or power lines.

But, self contained electricity units are very ineffecient and thus
expensive.  In a sense, self-contained energy production is usually seen by
the public as "not counting."  But, if we were to compare its efficiency
vs. desalinisation in energy/liter, we'd need to know the energy per liter
numbers....something that's just not available.

In essense, for this to work in the desert, it would have to cool
condensors to below freezing to then cool the air below the dew point. And,
this system would only work at all decently in the few hours before dawn if
the wind was blowing hard.

In other words, I'd bet a case vs. a bottle of beer that it's a lot
prettier on paper than in practice as a means of providing, say, Las Vegas,
with drinking water.  Because turbines supply the energy doesn't mean that
its energy efficient.

Dan M.