Hmm, my sources (one is HHS) indicate that, as of the last measure, Medicaid
spending was to be ~400 billion in 2008, according to Keiser, Medicare was
$410 billion in 2007, and with several projected increases of 7% for 2007 to
2008 it would be about ~430 billion.  Total healthcare costs for the US in
2008 was about 2.4 trillion, according to several sources.  So, were talking
about Medicare and Medicaid making up roughly 35% of total costs.

How did you get > 1.2 trillion for Medicare and Medicaid?

Dan M.