On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 8:51 PM, Dave Land<dml...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Right. I'm always getting a gun pointed at my head when I go to the damn
> doctor.

I have posted articles that list a number of state mandates for health
care plans. If a provider were to dare to sell a policy to a willing
buyer, and that policy did not, for example, cover acupuncture in
certain states, the provider would be breaking the law. If the
provider refused to cease selling policies without acupuncture, they
would eventually send the police to arrest them, with guns if the
person attempted to defend themselves.

In Maryland, it is illegal to practice physical therapy unless you
have a doctorate. Better not set up a practice trying to rehabilitate
injured people in Maryland if you just have an M.A., or  you could end
up arrested at gunpoint.

Another example is that it is illegal for a doctor licensed in one
state to treat someone in another state. A doctor from Texas could end
up arrested at gunpoint for trying to help people in New Orleans after
a hurricane.

> Do you really think that you have a snowball's chance in hell
> of getting the care you need from some corporate bean counter who is
> REQUIRED by LAW to maximize profits, and not required to take care of
> your health?

Absolutely. I choose to buy services from those who have a good
reputation for serving their customers. And quite a few people who run
businesses are aware that the best way to maximize profits is to build
a reputation upon good customer service.