On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 2:21 PM, John Williams <jwilliams4...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Nick Arnett<nick.arn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > How can you insist that for a nation to choose to provide health care to
> all
> > of its citizens is taking away freedom?
>
> Taking away my money against my will and limiting my choices for what
> kind of health care I can purchase is taking away my freedom of
> choice.

Repeating your premise isn't proving it.

> > Freedom to choose is still
> > freedom to choose when everyone makes the choice by democratic means.
>
> Even if everyone voted democratically to make some minority of people
> slaves, that does not make slavery freedom.

Come on.  That's middle school-level civics, not an argument against health
care... unless you come up with some sort of evidence that providing people
health care is like enslaving them.  Good luck with that.  We generally
don't think of illness as "freedom from good health," which is the freedom
that you'd like to preserve for a lot of people in our country.

Nick