Nick said:

I'd argue for democracy -- none of this business of X "must" give Y money. A social contract, not force. That's why I said the original post failed to address the critical question of what "take" means.

If you prefer, recast the questions as "In this situation, is it morally right for Alice to give Bob (et al.) <whatever>?" or more simply "Should Alice give Bob (et al.) <whatever>?"

(Although as far as I can see in lots of cases the way it works seems to be that the democratic process decides on norms and then those are imposed by various kinds of coercion on dissenters so it largely comes to the same thing. Whether one sees this is a good or bad thing I suppose depends on how much one tends to dissent.)

Rich