On Sep 21, 2009, at 3:20 PM, Michael Harney wrote:

I respectfully disagree. Not in appealing to people to be respectful in disagreements, but in appealing to the religious "What would Jesus do?" to do so. Rationality promotes calm debate. Sadly, religion is not conducive to rationality. Rather religion and religious belief promotes the irrational and rejection of the rational (IE: Creationism/Intelligent Design vs Evolution). No, appealing to ones irrational beliefs doesn't promote rational debate.

Oh, as for an example of Jesus not "respectfully disagreeing", call to your recollection what Jesus did to the vendors in the temple. I believe it had something to do with shouting, throwing over tables, smashing merchandise and even wielding a whip. It's been a while though, so I may be a little cloudy on the details.