On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 1:20 AM, Charlie Bell <char...@culturelist.org>wrote:

> That's the widely perceived view of them, yes. Doesn't totally hold water
> if you actually read the New Testament, but yes - if people tried to act a
> bit nicer to each other we'd be better off.

I know what you mean, I think, but I've stopped using the word "nice" to
describe it.  I know churches that are perfectly "nice" to gays, for
example, but in doing so pretty much fail to accept them.  Sort of a
"welcome to our church, we're glad to have you here and we're certain that
you're going to hell."  Except that the last sentence is implied, not spoken
aloud.

I guess another way to say what I'm saying is that hypocrisy and
self-righteousness can be extremely nice, and I find the combination to be
not only irritating, but destructive to community.  There's a
passive-aggressiveness present.

I'd rather call on people to be "real," rather than "nice," I suppose.

Nick