Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 08:46:21 -0700
Subject: Re: Wife's suggestion!
From: nick.arn...@gmail.com
To: brin-l@mccmedia.com

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 1:20 AM, Charlie Bell <char...@culturelist.org> wrote:

That's the widely perceived view of them, yes. Doesn't totally hold water if
you actually read the New Testament, but yes - if people tried to act a bit
nicer to each other we'd be better off.

I know what you mean, I think, but I've stopped using the word "nice" to
describe it.  I know churches that are perfectly "nice" to gays, for example,
but in doing so pretty much fail to accept them.  Sort of a "welcome to our
church, we're glad to have you here and we're certain that you're going to
hell."  Except that the last sentence is implied, not spoken aloud.

I guess another way to say what I'm saying is that hypocrisy and
self-righteousness can be extremely nice, and I find the combination to be not
only irritating, but destructive to community.  There's a
passive-aggressiveness present.

I'd rather call on people to be "real," rather than "nice," I suppose.

Nick