> From: Dave Land <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> >> Winamp has basically the same UI as any other media player, and the
> >> same panoply of completely nauseating skins available. Visual Studio

> >> is
> >

> > Winamp did it first.  Others copied.  Including things like the
> > title-bar
> > mode, Visualizations, plugins, etc.
>
> I don't have dates to argue whether Winamp predates QuickTime, but I
> agree that Winamp has introduced many usability (if not user interface)

> features.
>
> >> amazing simply for the fact that it has *so much* UI, but it is
still
> >> very usable.
> >
> > The fact that you can add, change, or delete any and all UI elements
> > including menus?
>
> Sure, why not. Lots of other programs permit that, too. Even vim. But
> I'm not arguing with you here: Visual Studio is an impressive
> achievement.
>
> While it is nowhere near as configurable, I've always been very
> impressed with Excel's usability, considering it's many, many features.
>
> >> I'm assuming that Minesweeper and Notepad are trolls.
> >
> > They are simple, clean, uncluttered, minimalist designs.
>
> Sure, whatever. They're not minimalist, they're simple: they're just
> programs that don't do much, so there's not much need for UI. They're
> also not particularly original. Any number of "one-trick pony"
> Macintosh Desktop accessories from as far back as 1984 are even simpler

> -- there's not even a menu in the window, which both Notepad and
> Minesweeper sport.

They also never crash.  Doing a small number of things well is better
than doing a large number of things poorly.

> An example of good UI is the Macintosh designers' decision to put the
> menubar at the top of the screen, not the top of a window, making it
> MUCH easier to hit. Because it's at an edge, there's no chance of
> overshooting it and having to backtrack. It effectively makes the
> target infinitely tall -- instead of having to try to decelerate and
> land the pointer in a 20-some pixel-high strip near the top of a
> window, you can just slam the pointer up against the top of the screen
> and it automatically stops there.

Most people learn how to control their mouse..

> In another message, The Fool mentioned Windows' consistent control-key
> shortcuts. That was borrowed from the Macintosh Human Interface
> Guidelines. And they got it wrong, too: the control key is often
> located where it must be pressed with the *side* of the little finger,
> where the Apple command-key is always located on either side of the
> space bar, where it is operated by the thumb. This may seem like a
> small thing, but I broke my little finger last year, and found that it
> was constantly sore when using windows, but was able to heal when using

> the Mac.

Wouldn't that be the designer of the keyboard that IBM originally used?

The Key shortcuts I mentioned have been around since ye olde days of
MS-DOS.

> I'm really not trying to make this a Win v. Mac thing, but I find that
> Linux (and Solaris and other Un*x flavors) tend to follow Windows UI
> rules, and I just can't find other examples of *computer* user
> interfaces that are anything like the Mac in terms of ease of use.

Like having only _*ONE*_ godd_a_m_ned mouse button?  Or requiring the OS
to eject floppy disks (and keeping files on the floppy disks open instead
of closing them).  Or Not having function keys?  (Even the s_h_i_t_y
mainframe terminals have function keys).