--- Gautam

Sorry, this is utter malarkey.  Bush had the Iraqis'
future in the palm of his hand.  Their liberation was
hours away.  And yes, we VIGOROUSLY urged the
rebellion.  He had only to say nothing and they would
be free.  He FIERCELY ordered Schwarzkopf not to move
another inch.  And tha cable traffic from Riyadhe
frantically demanding that move, was the proximate
reason.

As for Iran.... EVERY report and public opinion
poll... even from Europeans... says that America and
americans are hugely popular among the common people,
especially the young. (Studies show that the LESS we
are perceived as supporting local elites, the more
popular we are.)

Nobody is asking the Iranians to rebel per se.  They
have a quasi democracy that THEY have to fix.  It has
teetered at the brink of major reform many times and
will (I feel confident) finally tip toward full
democracy, with or without our help.

We helped the MULLAHS a  couple of years ago, when
that beta second-string over-rated fool Condi Rice
actually allowed her dimwitted boss to howl "axis of
evil" JUST as a major attempt at reform loomed in
Iran.  The Europeans were stunned.  The ONLY effect of
that speech was to tip the scales in the Mullahs'
favor, absoultely guaranteeing that we could not call
upon the Iranians as allies against Saddam.

Idiocy!  If you were to name Saddam's worst nightmare,
it would have been peace between two old friends...
and his worst enemies.  It would have made
elimninating him a cake walk, with ZERO american
casualties.

Bah.