Alexander Minshall:
> About fining TD's for sub-standard venues, it sounds fine on the face of
it,
> but why should we blame TD's when the venue has agree to and probably
signed
> contracts to confirm they can accommodate a Tour's requirements, and then
> break that contract?  I do know that this is being taken further with the
> venue, and perhaps the TD's will give a fuller explanation when they
return.

I've run a few tournaments [Ross-on-Wye, various Tours, Nationals (out and
indoor)] and I've NEVER encountered a contract from a venue stating that
they could/would meet requirements. The odd email/telephone conversation
saying "Yeah... I reckon..." but how legally binding is that?

I've also never thought to ask for a contract... I've always checked out the
venue to see how big it is, paced it out, made a note of cricket squares,
nets, goal-posts, drains, uneven ground, etc and enquired whether they might
be a problem. A couple of times we've encountered undersized pitches on the
day, but exspressing dissapointment and making repeat bookings have
generally ironed this out over time.

I DO regularly encounter booking forms that state that any failure on the
part of the tournament to occur, etc. will still require payment for
(non)use of facilities, though the venues generally have the right to cancel
whenever...

Part of the reason that I've not been so prolific in running tournaments
recently - my 'regular' venues have (or are rumoured to have) been changing
their facilities, and I haven't had the time to visit in person to verify
stuff, or to go actively checking out other potential new venues.

I've generally been involved in specifying how the pitches should fit into
the available space, and had maps sent to me.

In my personal opinion, having someone visit the venue and walk around with
the Groundsman is a NECESSITY.

Do any other TDs get venues to sign contracts? I'd be most interested to
know (I'd also guess that the BritOpen is probably the most likely... It's
generally the best organised domestic event I've ever attended)

Wayne Retter
TD for Fluid Druids & Layout Dreams

Notice of Confidentiality

This transmission contains information that may be confidential
and that may also be privileged. Unless you are the intended
recipient of the message (or authorised to receive it for the
intended recipient) you may not copy, forward, or otherwise use
it, or disclose it or its contents to anyone else. If you have
received this transmission in error please notify us immediately
and delete it from your system.

Tel: +44 1737 241144
Fax: +44 1737 241496
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.