From: Cahill, Maria [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 10 July 2003 15:51
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [BD] Nutrition at tournaments - some thoughts

Folks, below a message I recently sent to Stig regarding the addition of a 'food
options' category to his minimum tournament requirements. He has agreed to add it but
I thought I might spark a debate because I'm not sure it's something ultimate players
give enough thought to. I would like to stress that I am not having a go at Soton or
Daventry TDs as I believe up till now ultimate players have accepted fried food as
quite often being the only option at tournaments and so the TDs could not have been
expected to provide anything different.

I am not saying that fried stuff should no longer be sold... only that more healthy
stuff ought also to be on offer. Mixed Tour 3 in Bakewell was a pretty good example of
how to cater for everyone. There were Si Weeks' by now world renowned 'Build your own
sandwiches', muesli bars, isotonic drinks, dried fruit and nuts, as well as choc bars,
crisps, biscuits etc.

Apologies in advance to all slimfast members...
Comments please....

***************************************

Paul on a completely different subject, I had a word with Barry regarding the food
options available at tournaments. He agreed it would be a good idea to provide some
guidance to TDs and make some stipulations in your minimum tournament standards.

My beef is that nutrition is obviously important. Dr Marfleet talks to the GB squads
about it every time we have a major tournament. I think we are supposed to eat complex
carbs, ie fruit, bagels, muesli bars, nuts etc. during the day. If you go to a
tournament in the US there are quite often free bagels and bananas available for every
team. An ultimate-playing nutritionist recently
told me that she thinks ultimate players eat too much fat during a day of ultimate
which does not necessarily provide you with the instant energy you need and this is
not surprising considering all that was available at Daventry was a barbecue offering
burgers and chips and some vending machines with crisps and chocolate. Southampton was
pretty similar with mostly fried food available at the food counter and chocolate and
crisps from the bar.

I know there is also the option of going to the supermarket but I think we can do
better.

Thanks,

This footnote confirms that this e-mail message has been scanned for the presence of
known computer viruses by the MessageLabs Virus
Control Centre. However, it is still recommended that you use local virus scanning
software to monitor for the presence of viruses.