In my experience, there are more 8-12 pitch venues with sufficient decent
facilities than 12-20 pitch venues - venues with greater pitch space (e.g.
over 10 pitches), don't have a corresponding increase in other facilities
(changing rooms, social areas, etc).

We've regularly found that, at the big venues, when everyone at A & B &
Womens Tour (400-450 people?) decides to eat or shower at pretty much the
same time (esp. at the end of the day) neither the catering, bar or showers
are really capable of dealing with the demand.

It is also my opinion that very few venues fully understand quite how much
food (and liquid refreshment) an Ultimate tournament will consume, given the
opportunity. (As an example, for MT3, Swindon trebled their usual per head
food estimate, and we still ate them out of stock!).

Accommodation is also a major issue at tournaments, and the availability of
an event organised accommodation option (I.e. more than just a list of local
B&Bs/hotels) should, in my opinion, be high on the list of requirements.
Some people are willing to pay ~35pppn for a hotel room and will always take
that option, but many won't/can't, so a cheaper local camping option should
always be counted as a bonus. Unfortunately, these days, venues are wiser to
the potential profits and charge per tent, rather than for a field...
FWIW, it's my understanding that discounts can be obtained in hotels for
"bulk booking", and that some hotel chains consider 5 rooms to be a "bulk
booking"!

My personal opinions of 'historic' venues:
* Exeter: the fields are great, but the other facilities (especially
provision of water, food and shelter) require lots of effort (and additional
cost - permission for and organisation of the hire of marquees, BBQs,
temporary water main, portaloos...) on the part of the TD. I'd suspect that
it would be possible to 'employ' a staff member full-time to shuttle back
and forth refilling water containers! I'm also suspect that the Double Locks
(superb place though it is!) wouldn't cope with a visitation from a
full-size A & B & Women Tour.
* Southampton: the fields are great, if and when they are available, but
again the lack of sufficient facilities (esp. if the University have finally
gotten around to selling the Wellington site, and all we have are the 4
portacabins at the Wide Lane site) could be perceived as a problem. For what
it's worth, I believe that there was a Southampton bid for 2004, but that it
didn't fit in with the desired dates and movement of the Tour around the
country.

It has been argued that we *could* visit the same venues, for events run by
the same tournament directors, year in, year out. Whilst this may seem like
a good idea and we'd hope that this would lead to increased quality of these
events, the counter argument is that such a format may make us reliant on
these venues, and we would struggle if/when they become unavailable (for
whatever reasons). It also doesn't seem fair to prevent other 'new'
venues/tournament directors from hosting events, and having the opportunity
to make some money.

There's lots more I could say, unfortunately, I've run out of time...

---
Wayne Retter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]