I realise this suggestion will not appeal to all but perhaps to
prevent the top 3-4 teams having these “meaningless games”
they should split off from the tour to form a ‘superleague’. They
generally spend most of the year playing each other any way.

The A tour could then consist of the teams ranked 5-20.
The B tour would be made up of the rest.

For promotion/relegation after an event:
Winners of the A tour replace the losers of the ‘superleague’
while promotion/relegation from B to A tour remains the same as
this year 2 up 2 down.

Advantages of this in my opinion are:

Superleague:
Regularly playing the 3 top teams therefore more
competitive/meaningful matches all weekend.
Get to play a 4th team due to promotion from/relegation to A
tour.
Only a small venue required (1-2 pitches) + no party necessary
(Jamie;-)).
Could even perhaps only play 1 day events (3 games), but play
two or more tournaments to every A / B tour event.

A tour:
Teams out of the top 3 finally have a realistic chance of winning
an event. Games will be more competitive as teams fight for the
right to play the top 3. The standard of games should still be
relatively high. The lower half the A tour will also be more
competitive as, in my opinion, this year the standard of teams in
the 13-18 bracket were similar, with the same teams being
promoted and relegated after each event) . Winners of the A
tour will also be able compare themselves to the top 3 by
promotion to the superleague and see how they need to develop.

B tour:
Fewer teams now the top 4 are missing therefore more pitch
time and therefore more time to improve game skills. Beginners
will get to play relatively competitive games but still see the fun
side of ultimate at this level.

Venues:
Also although in theory I am against having the tour events at
different venues realistically with the number of teams now
playing regularly I think it is inevitable that the A and B tours will
be split between venues. However if possible I would hope that
at least two events a year are held at the same venue but only if
these venues can cater for the large numbers of teams e.g.
venues such as Bristol (tour 1), Southampton (previous years)
and Birmingham (Nationals this year).

Tony
Sheffield Steal

Regular disclaimer that these are just my opinions and not those
of my team/friends/family/pets etc…..

Tony Hutton
Department of Engineering Materials
University of Sheffield