I've got a suggestion to throw into the future of UK ultimate discussion. It
concerns the A tour and is aimed at reducing the playing load at each event.
At the moment I feel that 6 long, closish games over a weekend is far too
many.

I would like each Tour to become a straight 16 team knockout tournament.

The detailed schedule would be something like

Game 1
1 v 16, 2 v 15,..., 8 v9

Game 2
1 v 8,..... 4 v 5;
9 v 16
etc....

(I'm sure you can work out the rest!)

This would make 4 games for each team split into 2 per day. Here are some of
the reasons why I think this would be a good idea (in no particular order):

1. We play too many games at Tour events.
I've felt for a long time that 3 hard games in a day is too much.
Overplaying (at the intensity now common at the Tour) is taking risks with
players' bodies. Injuries (especially wear and tear) must be more likely
when
playing 3 games. I also think it is wrong to play back to back games at such
a high level. It's too hard mentally and physically

2. It will be more like Worlds/Europeans
At major events there are invariably 1-2 games per day. It would be a good
thing for the top players to get more used to such a format. We've already
seen the benefits of getting our players used to a competetive atmosphere,
we could move things a step closer by moving to 2 games per day

3. All games will count
This increases the competetive edge even more. Group stages (as we have now)
allow for losses and hence Saturday is not currently as competetive as
Sunday (particularly for seeds 1-4 and 13-16). In a straight knockout, every
game will affect final positioning and we will get more and more used to
sudden death finishes in games that matter

4. More venues would be available
Clearly fewer games means fewer pitches which means that we could either:
a- get cheaper tournaments (or better - afford better venues as we would
need less space)
b- have access to better pitches
c- fewer pitches also means fewer (i.e. BETTER!) scoreboards, etc..
I think we would only need 4 pitches (and no back to back games) - or 5 if
we wanted to save 1 for the
final in poor conditions.

5. Easy and understandable scheduling - and a show pitch
One of the bonus things I like is that if we had a show
pitch (with a stand or clubhouse alongside) it's pretty easy to schedule
both days so that there is always a close game on the showpitch, and most
teams would appear on it over the course of the weekend.

6. Current format is tired
I hold my hands up here as I was there when we discussed and agreed this
year's format.However I get the impression that it was unpopular with the
top
4 teams as they get many "meaningless" games. The tournament only really
comes alive on the Sunday (by which time a lot of players are exhausted).

This format relies on accurate seeding. This is now possible for at Tour
events with the occasional exception of Tour 1.

Thanks for getting this far! I just wanted to flag up the idea before we get
to the UKU conference in case I'm not alone in these views

Wayne