Chris, BD,

<CW>
> As a student player i would like to agree that the
> triple elimination system which is run for some
> tournaments is possibly the worst idea currently
> opperating in the sport.
<snip>

I disagree...

<CW>
> The way i understand it the system was brought in to
> ensure that the best teams in the tournament end up
> in the highest places. In my experience this very
> rarely happens as the team that loses in the final
> is often faced with a playoff directly after and
> then the possibility of a third game after that! How
> fair is it to expect a team who have fought through
> to the final to then play 3 games back to back end
> possibly end up in 5th or 6th for the effort?
<snip>

>From my experiences in the northern region: Indoor
regionals 2003, qualifiers: Jedi; York; Fingers 6. The
best 3 teams that year? No. Take york's path to the
final: Quarter finals - Phat eds, very good team, York
won 7-5 or so in a hard fought game; semis - Fingers,
York were rarely troubled, 13-3 victors; Final - Jedi,
tight game, Jedi winning 13-11 or thereabouts.

Compare to this year best three teams at indoor
regionals (by popular consensus at the tournament...)
York, Phat eds, Fish; qualified York, Phat eds, Fish.
Outdoor northern regionals best 3 teams (again by
consensus...) York, Phat eds, Lights; qualified york,
lights, phat eds.

Which of these two scenarios is fairer? a seedings
dependent knockout or a seeding independant format?

> Also....the way triple elimination works the final
> of a tournament is played pretty early to allow time
> for all the subsequent
> playoffs/crossovers/calls/handshakes etc. Now call
> me old fasioned but isnt the whole point of a final
> that it is the FINAL game of a tournament where the
> best 2 teams play each other to determine the
> winners and, above all, put on a really good show
> for all the other competitiors who havnt been
> fortunate enough to reach that stage?

Certainly indoors, there was a break in the schedule
so everyone can watch the final. Plus, if you win the
final you are hardly going to be too upset at having
to wait around being smug, whilst watching the
important games to go...

TE may not be perfect, but in terms of sorting out the
top 3 teams in a region to go to nationals then it is
a darn sight better than a straight knockout format...

Just my tuppence worth

Stuart
Steal # 17, Phat Eds
Ex York.