> As a student player i would like to agree that the triple elimination
> system which is run for some tournaments is possibly the worst idea
> currently opperating in the sport.

Right, we have UKU and EFDF rostering rules being applied inconsistently. We
have teams paying the same entry fee for vastly different amounts of pitch
time at Tour events. We have nonsensical Tour formats that are nearly
impossible to schedule properly. Clearly the fairer and more reasonable
tournament format that Triple elimination represents is not the "worst idea
currently operation in the sport".

> The way i understand it the system was brought in to ensure that the best
> teams in the tournament end up in the highest places. In my experience
> this very rarely happens as the team that loses in the final is often
> faced with a playoff directly after and then the possibility of a third
> game after that! How fair is it to expect a team who have fought through
> to the final to then play 3 games back to back end possibly end up in 5th
> or 6th for the effort?

The playoffs/games to go are never directly after the final if you're your
TD has half a brain (admittedly this can't always be guaranteed) when
scheduling the tournament. If you are playing triple elimination, ie three
qualification spots, then the worst you can finish having lost the final is
4th. Also in some formats for some numbers of teams the two teams in the
finals will always qualify. Go read the document and then feel free to ask
questions if you have any.

> Also....the way triple elimination works the final of a tournament is
> played pretty early to allow time for all the subsequent
> playoffs/crossovers/calls/handshakes etc. Now call me old fasioned but
> isnt the whole point of a final that it is the FINAL game of a tournament
> where the best 2 teams play each other to determine the winners and, above
> all, put on a really good show for all the other competitiors who havnt
> been fortunate enough to reach that stage?

Nope not "above all". The point of the final/championship game is to
determine the winner. That way you can seed teams more accurately at
nationals.

The next time you play a qualifier tournament with straight knockout and
lose to the eventual winners in the quarters and never play the teams 3rd &
4th placed teams I'm sure your disappointment of not qualifying will be
cured by being able to watch the final.

JP

P.S. Gotta love the mindset that thinks teams that don't make the final are
simply unfortunate!