On 4 Aug 2005, at 10:42, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Joe Aye-Aye >>> the first thing a casual observer will notice is either a) "Oh look they've all got matching kit, this must be a serious sport" or b) "Oh look a bunch of stoners playing frisbee"(slight exagerration) but you (hopefully) get my point. The casual observer isn't going to know about offside or how long you're allowed between points. The first thing the casual observer will notice is that we are chasing a piece of plastic around a field, which (it may surprise you) the vast majority of people find ridiculous, whether or not we are wearing matching kit! The only people who are really care about Ultimate are the people who play the game, so let’s concentrate on improving the standard of play for ‘us’, as opposed to “the image” for other people!!

How much concentration does it take for a team to buy some spare shirts?

Ultimate already seems to work fairly well on an international level,

It works. Whether it works well depends on what you're comparing it to. The standards of even our World Championships events are extremely variable - some excellent while others have been laughable (although those ones haven't been that funny when you've actually had to play in them).

so what major improvements are this soon-to-be-realised vast stash of corporate cash going to realise (if only we all wore matching kit)?

Better pitches maybe?! As an extreme example, ask Dougie what playing Ultimate at Wembley Stadium was like.

Paul Hurt >>> Bags on the sideline, spectators and subs actually standing ON the pitch in the final... oh yes, and non-matching kit.... in the finals of what other national-level team sport would you find that kind of thing going on? Probably in another similarly minor sport, which allows guest players, and pauses to allow players to tie their shoe laces?!

Ha ha, very true.

Though on the other hand, if we don't take ourselves seriously, is it surprising that no-one else does either?

If the UKUA got 20 extra volunteers willing to give even a little of their time up to help, then they could accomplish lots more than the few things mentioned in this discussion. However, people tend to get off their soapboxes and ignore the fact that it requires people to DO something, for change to happen. Ask not what your country can do for you......

In the case of matching kit, or most of the other "presentation deficiencies", we don't need 20 extra volunteers, or a system of fines and penalties to sort it out. We just need players to give a s*&t.

Who needs cones - it's a lot of bother carrying them from venue to venue. Let's just go back to using bags and shoes.

Paul