> Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2026 11:18:34 +0200
> From: Patrice Dumas <[email protected]>
> 
> Hello,
> 
> I found out this with the emacs manuals, but it is more general.
> When there is both -o some/dir/ option to texi2any and a @setfilename
> with leading directories, like
>  @setfilename ../../info/emacs-xtra.info
> texi2any uses both directories unless output is split HTML.  So the final
> output file ends up being (for Info, HTML not split, DocBook):
> 
>  some/dir/../../info/emacs-xtra.XXX
> 
> I think that ignoring the directory from @setfilename when the -o
> argument is determined to be a directory would be better, both more
> useful, simpler and more consistent with -o with a file name as
> argument.

That might be better, but it is certain to break someone's setup out
there, so MHO would be not to make such a change.

> We should make sure that this does not break the emacs manual, but I
> think that it should not, as this use of @setfilename probably predates
> having -o recognize directories, which, I believe, started with Texinfo
> 5.0.  Therefore I doubt that the emacs build system also uses -o DIR
> (except for split HTML).  I had a look at emacs sources, and I found
> only non-split output with -o output_file being used that should be ok.
> It is very likely that there are other places where the emacs manuals
> are built, though, as the HTML manual linked to from the main emacs page
> is split.

Please also look in admin/admin.el, there are commands there used by
the Emacs maintainers to generate the HTML manuals (which are then
uploaded to the GNU documentation site via CVS).  I think I do see
there at least one case where "-o" is used for split-HTML.

Reply via email to