On Wed, Sep 23, 2026 at 02:45:13PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2026 11:18:34 +0200
> > From: Patrice Dumas <[email protected]>
> > 
> > I think that ignoring the directory from @setfilename when the -o
> > argument is determined to be a directory would be better, both more
> > useful, simpler and more consistent with -o with a file name as
> > argument.
> 
> That might be better, but it is certain to break someone's setup out
> there, so MHO would be not to make such a change.

The manual describes @setfilename argument as a base file name rather than
a path, so having a path in @setfilename should be considered as a
dangerous setup.  It is never said explicitly that a path is wrong,
though, so it could happen, but I think that it is fair if the behaviour
changes (here in relation to -o) when it is confusing and inconsistent.
I actually thought that the directory part of path as @setfilename
argument was ignored, and I was quite surprised by the result.

> > We should make sure that this does not break the emacs manual, but I
> > think that it should not, as this use of @setfilename probably predates
> > having -o recognize directories, which, I believe, started with Texinfo
> > 5.0.  Therefore I doubt that the emacs build system also uses -o DIR
> > (except for split HTML).  I had a look at emacs sources, and I found
> > only non-split output with -o output_file being used that should be ok.
> > It is very likely that there are other places where the emacs manuals
> > are built, though, as the HTML manual linked to from the main emacs page
> > is split.
> 
> Please also look in admin/admin.el, there are commands there used by
> the Emacs maintainers to generate the HTML manuals (which are then
> uploaded to the GNU documentation site via CVS).  I think I do see
> there at least one case where "-o" is used for split-HTML.

If I read the code well (which is not so easy, but I think I got it
right), it is a -o file_name when not split, so it should also be ok.

-- 
Pat

Reply via email to