On Fri, Sep 25, 2026 at 09:40:33AM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Patrice Dumas <[email protected]>
> > Cc: [email protected], [email protected]
> > 
> > Note that this deprecation does not mean that we should stop immediately
> > supporting @setfilename.  It only means that we should not document any
> > other use for newer Texinfo versions. 
> 
> As long as you deprecate some feature but don't remove it, I'm okay
> with that.  My interpretation of this discussion was that you are
> planning to make changes that aren't just deprecations, but disallow
> something that was supported until now.  If that's not the case, I
> apologize for the noise.

I think that we are about to do both.  Change the behaviour of -o and
disallow something that was supported until now, and deprecate
@setfilename with a path, or even @setfilename except if the input file
name is not known, but keep the support.

> But if I was right, and changes are planned that will disallow what
> was possible before, then what people _should_ do nowadays is IMO not
> a satisfactory justification for such a removal.

I may be missing something but I think that the designed use is a good
reason for aligning the implementation.  Not necessarily the only one,
but a good one.

> IME, one should also consider what the current implementation actually
> does, not just what the documentation says.

I do not think that we should have a definitive rule here.  We should
take into accout the design of what should be best, what is in the
documentation, what is implemented, and, when we know, what is used
and try to find the best trade-off.

-- 
Pat

Reply via email to