Derek Reynolds wrote:
> Installing Audiogalaxy automatically installs a small tracking or "spy"
> program called Webhancer. This program not only tracks where you go on
the Internet
> but also reads files on your hard drives and sends info to some company.
Even
> after completing Audiogalaxy Satellite's rudimentary recommended
uninstall method
> which involves manually deleting it's file folder, Webhancer was still on
up

I asked Audio Galaxy about this, and got a polite letter from Michael
Merhej <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. According to Mr. Merhej, the install
screens tell you that you're about to install WebHancer.  I also checked
out the WebHancer site; they have a very clear privacy policy, and a PDF
of a Deloitte & Touche audit of it.  They say that they only collect
timing data, no personally identifiable information, do not allow third
party correlations, and keep the data protected.

I'm not sure that Audio Galaxy or WebHancer deserve vilification; they
both seem to have taken reasonable steps to protect privacy and to warn
users of what they are doing.

Regards,

David Johnston
Little Bald Consulting