[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > I was reminded of this again recently because a Notes user on another
> > list complained that a list "control" message they sent was bounced.
> > That list processer reads its commands from the Subject: line and
> > it turned out that the combination of Notes client and Notes SMTP
> > gateway happily sent a non-standards compliant message, failing to
> > put the required blank line at the end of the message header block.
> > It was the SMTP server on the list processer machine, not the list
> > processor, that rejected the message, and it did so because it was
> > not a valid message according to the standards (a message can have a
> > null body but the header block ends with the first blank line).
>
> Well,
>
> Actually message standards (or RFC 822 actually) doe snot requile that blank line,
> if message do not have body.
>
> Note that grammar is:
>
>      message     =  fields *( CRLF *text )       ; Everything after
>                                                  ;  first null line
>                                                  ;  is message body
> Therefore
>
>     message     =  fields
>
> is also valid (ie, without that CRLF.)

So it is.

On re-reading RFC822 I guess I've always (incorrectly) based my
interpretation on the textual description, for example:

     3.1.  GENERAL DESCRIPTION

          A message consists of header fields and, optionally, a body.
     The  body  is simply a sequence of lines containing ASCII charac-
     ters.  It is separated from the headers by a null line  (i.e.,  a
     line with nothing preceding the CRLF).

And:

     B.2.  SEMANTICS

          Headers occur before the message body and are terminated  by
     a null line (i.e., two contiguous CRLFs).

And note the comment in your quote above:

     ; Everything after
     ;  first null line
     ;  is message body

(This comment is repeated later in Appendix D too.)

> I'm afrain that Notes is correct on here....

Yes -- a pity the drafters of those RFCs wrote them so ambiguously
and I've always preferred words to formulae (diagrams are good
though...).

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald