On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 09:42:34PM +1300, Nick FitzGerald ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Well,
> >
> > Actually message standards (or RFC 822 actually) doe snot requile that blank line,
> > if message do not have body.
> >
> > Note that grammar is:
> >
> >      message     =  fields *( CRLF *text )       ; Everything after
> >                                                  ;  first null line
> >                                                  ;  is message body
> > Therefore
> >
> >     message     =  fields
> >
> > is also valid (ie, without that CRLF.)
>
> So it is.
>
> On re-reading RFC822 I guess I've always (incorrectly) based my
> interpretation on the textual description, for example:

[snip excerpt]

> Yes -- a pity the drafters of those RFCs wrote them so ambiguously
> and I've always preferred words to formulae (diagrams are good
> though...).

Yeah, someone should get around to writing replacements.

 ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2821.txt
 ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2822.txt

:-)

(I don't use The Bat, and I haven't been following this thread
closely, so I don't know if the updated RFCs actually clarify the
issue at hand, but they do clarify a lot of stuff that 821 and 822
were a little liberal on.)

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services