The question I was asking was only about this:

On 3/12/2015 12:04 PM, Harald Becker wrote:
but that one will only work when you either use the kernel hotplug helper mechanism, or the netlink approach. You drop out those who can't / doesn't want to use either.

...which I really do think could be answered in one paragraph :-) If the netlink socket is the "right way" to solve the forkbomb problem that happens with hotplug helpers, then why would anyone want to solve it the wrong way? I don't understand the need.

-Mike