VladimĂ­r Macek (Scripteo) wrote on Mon, Feb 13, 2023 at 03:24:41PM +0100:
> There was a bash-5.1.16-r0 in alpine:3.13, which was the latest version,
> where test -r worked correctly for me.
>
> So sorry for bugging here. I need to find out now what to do next to pursue
> this.

I cannot reproduce this on alpine 3.17's bash either (with the correct
directory structure this time...); but here's for the next steps anyway:

- Since this would be a bash bug, start a new thread on bug-b...@gnu.org
instead of this mailing list. Further analysis might show that this is
not a bash bug but a problem in the underlying storage system, but let's
move this forward one step at a time.

- Reproduce under strace and provide the full strace.log:
strace -o /tmp/strace.log bash -c '[ -r file ]; echo $?'
strace might not want to run within the container without some extra
privileges, it's also possible to attach your bash process from outside
if that's easier, but if you can reproduce with the container running
with --privileged that is probably the most straightforward.

- Provide more context around the container: build log is great but a
Dockerfile or the commands to run inside the container is even better.
How the container is run (docker, podman as root, podman rootless with
the command you use and their environment (docker info/podman info); if
the data file is in a volume then what underlying filesystem it is in,
and if that still produces if you copy the tree inside the containers'
/tmp for example.

Good luck!
--
Dominique Martinet