Completely legal, but most services have moved to trunking systems on 800-900
MHz.  You'll need a trunk tracking radio to keep up, but you can get "bits and
pieces" just by scanning those freqs with an old fashioned scanner (if you have
those bands covered).

It's also legal for police to encrypt channels if necessary, and you'll find
that tactical freqs are often encrypted accordingly.  But the vast majority is
open for the public to hear.

This is the radio I have, covers all those systems and more:

https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BCD436HP-HomePatrol-Digital-Handheld/dp/B00I33XDAK

73,
KF5YHP

Sent from my iPhone